THIS Radio mission and values:
THIS radio seeks to produce output that is stimulatingly creative, pursues cultural excellence and endeavours to factually report features with journalistic integrity. Serving our whole community with a rich tapestry of content that represents the diverse communities within Hope and its position in the city. The station operates a non-discrimination policy that supports responsible free speech.
THIS Radio Journalistic code of practice:
- At all times upholds and defends the principle of media freedom, the right of freedom of expression (with all considered due responsibilities [Ofcom codes]) and the right of the public to be informed.
- Strives to ensure that information disseminated is honestly conveyed, accurate and fair.
- Does their utmost to correct harmful inaccuracies.
- Differentiates between fact and opinion.
- Obtains material by honest, straightforward and open means, with the exception of investigations that are both overwhelmingly in the public interest and which involve evidence that cannot be obtained by straightforward means.
- Does nothing to intrude into anybody’s private life, grief or distress unless justified by overriding consideration of the public interest.
- Protects the identity of sources who supply information in confidence and material gathered in the course of their work.
- Resists threats or any other inducements to influence, distort or suppress information and takes no unfair personal advantage of information gained in the course of their duties before the information is public knowledge.
- Produces no material likely to lead to hatred or discrimination on the grounds of a person’s age, gender, race, colour, creed, legal status, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- Does not by way of statement, voice or appearance endorse by advertisement any commercial product or service save for the promotion of their own work or of the medium by which they are employed.
- Shall normally seek the consent of an appropriate adult when interviewing or photographing a child for a story about their welfare.
- Avoids plagiarism – always attribute quotes (from publications or contributors).
- Avoid defamatory language & the repeating of possible defamatory claims against people, businesses or institutions.
- Avoid contempt of court by not commenting upon any on-going court case i.e. from a person(s) being charged to the person(s) having been sentenced (without appeal).
- Avoid non-University advertising and shameless plugging of products and services.